Solved

How to merge different user ids/records into one distinct id?

• 20 March 2020
  • 1 reply

Badge

I have few user records that suppose to be on the same “distinct id”.  This is due to our incorrect implementation at first by not setting the USER_ID property when calling mixpanel.people.set().  

After fixing this issue, I now would like to merge those records into one “distinct id”.   I look in the Organization Setting  that we can request for Identity Merge.  Is this the only way to do it?  Can someone suggest the way to merge those records into one?  Is there anything to be aware of before doing so?

icon

Best answer by Cassandra 20 March 2020, 20:14

Hi @noom,

Enabling ID merge and importing a $merge event to map events from merged ids together is likely the best solution. One nuance to note:

• User profiles will not automatically aggregate all user properties when merged: If multiple user profile exists for multiple distinct ids that are merged, Mixpanel will hide all but one of the user profiles. User property values will not be updated or added based on other profiles merged. 

Alternatively, you could delete profiles that are duplicated without enabling ID merge,  however the events from different profiles would not be merged together. For this reason, enabling ID merge is likely the best solution.

warmly,
Cassandra

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 1

Hi @noom,

Enabling ID merge and importing a $merge event to map events from merged ids together is likely the best solution. One nuance to note:

• User profiles will not automatically aggregate all user properties when merged: If multiple user profile exists for multiple distinct ids that are merged, Mixpanel will hide all but one of the user profiles. User property values will not be updated or added based on other profiles merged. 

Alternatively, you could delete profiles that are duplicated without enabling ID merge,  however the events from different profiles would not be merged together. For this reason, enabling ID merge is likely the best solution.

warmly,
Cassandra