Question

How to create custom events with custom property filter?

• 10 June 2020
  • 1 reply

• New Participant
  • 0 replies

Hi!

Currently I am tracking all page view events as “Page View”, and I want to be able to group my site by page types (eg. product pages, category pages) so that I can see the user flow between different pages.

I managed to create custom properties by applying regex formula on “Current URL” property. Let’s say I managed to group all product pages up as a custom property, “Product Pages URL”. However, when I try to create a custom event, I am not able to select a custom property as a filter. My funnel now looks like this which is pretty pointless to me. I want to be able to see a flow:

eg. Homepage → Product Page → Shopping Cart Page

I’m not sure if I’m missing something or not doing something right, please help!! Thank you! (:

1 reply

Hi yx95,

Thank you for writing in. Since your post, custom properties have become supported in custom events, so you should now be able to create a custom event based on the Page View event and with a specific Product Pages URL filter, and then use it in your flow for starting/ending sessions. You’ll also be able to expand that Page View event by your Product Pages URL property in flows, to give you increased granularity there (since Flows display does not show custom events, but rather the raw events that make up those custom events.

Hope that helps, thanks!

Reuben

Support Engineer at Mixpanel