Solved

How data types are determined by Mixpanel

• 31 January 2020
  • 4 replies

Hello,

I would like to understand a bit better how data types are determined by Mixpanel.

What if I send a property as string the first time, and then send all the following thousand events with the same property as number.

Will the data type change to number or will it stay as string?

Thanks,
Emil

icon

Best answer by stephanie 7 February 2020, 00:42

@emilsek Correct, your data type would change to a number. Data types are determined by the most sent in the last 30 days. Using your example, if 51%+ your property are numbers in the last 30 days, then the data type will be set at numerical instead of a string since it is a higher volume coming in. 

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

@emilsek Correct, your data type would change to a number. Data types are determined by the most sent in the last 30 days. Using your example, if 51%+ your property are numbers in the last 30 days, then the data type will be set at numerical instead of a string since it is a higher volume coming in. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

We have just started looking more into the data audit module, and some things are not clear. Like data types. How are data types of properties determined, and when? Can we change them from the Lexicon?

What if we were sending in the beginning a property as a string for 2 weeks, during the first implementations, and right after we switch the property to number. And we only start sending numbers from now on, for 3-4 months. The expected data type for this property will forever be "string", or it can be changed to "number"?

And how come some properties have expected data type "unknown" in the data audit module? It doesn't even make sense...

Is anyone else experiencing these issues?

Thanks,
Emil

We have just started looking more into the data audit module, and some things are not clear. Like data types. How are data types of properties determined, and when? Can we change them from the Lexicon?

What if we were sending in the beginning a property as a string for 2 weeks, during the first implementations, and right after we switch the property to number. And we only start sending numbers from now on, for 3-4 months. The expected data type for this property will forever be "string", or it can be changed to "number"?

And how come some properties have expected data type "unknown" in the data audit module? It doesn't even make sense...

Is anyone else experiencing these issues?

Thanks,
Emil

Yes, this is my post from the previous community site. Some of the issues mentioned are still not clear, mostly in the data audit module. If someone could clarify those, it would be great. Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hey @emilsek,

I believe the pending question is why is the expected data type showing as unknown? From my understanding, you will need to set the data type that is being sent in for the property. It could be that there was not enough data history for the tool to determine the expected data type or the data types is evenly split,  these two can lead to the set unknown type. 

Hope this helps, please let me know if these was a question I missed in your post!