Question

How can we count how many times a user accessed the app per day

• 1 April 2021
  • 1 reply

We are new to this community so Hello!!!

We are trying to calculate the number of times a user accessed their app in a day. 

The default app session event doesn’t seem to cover this, while we are also monitoring the time spent in the app but what we want to see here is how many times someone opened the app in a day, whether they used this for one action/event or stayed in for X time. 

We are currently counting this manually by looking at the list of app events in each user profile. 

Has anyone else calculated this some other way? Could you please propose a way to estimate this?

Thanks in advance!

1 reply

Badge

Hi There!

I’m Nick, and I work at Mixpanel. Sorry for the delay, this one slipped through the cracks, but I’m happy to help. 

There are a few different ways to think about this. It seems like the first thing to think about is customizing the idea of an App Session, which can be done retroactively, to a definition that better aligns with your metrics and understanding of your users. The App Session event (assuming you’re referring to the default mobile session) executes when someone spends more than 10 seconds in the app, so it should be a good proxy, but if you want to customize if, you can have that session start on some event that you’re tracking and end on a different event OR on a timeout. You can find more information on customizing session definition here

From there, it becomes a matter of how best to query it. There are several options in Insights, and I’ll go into a few examples here, but in general, you’ll want to use the “Total Per User” aggregator. 

From here, there are a few different options that can give you a window, depending on what you’re looking for. In general, you’ll want to use the “Session Start,” “Total Per User” with a line chart and a daily aggregation. I’m including a gif below of the basic setup of this query and then the other ways in which you can make it more advanced. 

Here, we’re using fake data so the results don’t differ much, but this would allow you to see the average sessions per user day, the median sessions per user day, the distribution of sessions per user per day, the maximum sessions per user per day, the minimum sessions per user per day, in addition to the number of sessions that the 25th, 75th, and 90th percentile users have. 

If you’re looking for broader metrics (e.g. how many sessions do we have in general per day), you can do that very simply through using the “Total” rather than the “Total Per User” aggregator. Example below:

--

Please let me know if the above is helpful or if I missed the mark -- we want to make sure you are getting the answers that you need. 

Thanks!

Mixpanel