Solved

How can I track users that login on multiple different devices?

• 7 July 2019
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

I have a membership website and would like to know when a user log's in with the same account on multiple different devices. I am not sure if that is something I can do with mixpanel or not but I really need to set this up for my client.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

icon

Best answer by toddg 8 July 2019, 20:10

Hi @BlakeCoward! You can track users that come from multiple platforms in Mixpanel. To do this, you would need to use their Identity management calls. To help, I would like to review their identity management methods - how we generate distinct_id, and how Alias and Identify work together to manage your users' identity across browsers and platforms.

distinct_id
If you're using one of our client-side libraries, Mixpanel automatically assign a random alphanumeric hash called a distinct_id to that anonymous user when they first visit your page. The distinct_id lives in the cookie or local storage of the user's device and is their unique identifier; this article goes over the role that distinct_id plays in your reports, but it is the crux of Mixpanel reporting; for every event, there is a distinct_id that fired it.

Alias and Identify
You call 'Alias' once at registration, which creates a value which maps the user's credentials to the original distinct_id, thus linking the user's previously anonymous activity to their registered account. Alias does not change the distinct_id.

You then call 'Identify' upon login, which will update the distinct_id value in the cookie/local storage to reflect the value you called 'Identify' on (which should be the same identifier you aliased). Then, Mixpanel recognizes that value as an existing Alias and maps the activity back to that original distinct_id. So, if a user first visits your site and registers on their iPad, and then the next day logs in on their Android device, Mixpanel will know that the post-login activity on the Android is actually the same user who was on that iPad the day before.

You can check out their developer documentation to see how to implement Mixpanel with different libraries. Also, their When To User Multiple Projects article helps decided if you want to send your data from multiple platforms to one project or to separate projects.

Hope this helps you out!

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @BlakeCoward! You can track users that come from multiple platforms in Mixpanel. To do this, you would need to use their Identity management calls. To help, I would like to review their identity management methods - how we generate distinct_id, and how Alias and Identify work together to manage your users' identity across browsers and platforms.

distinct_id
If you're using one of our client-side libraries, Mixpanel automatically assign a random alphanumeric hash called a distinct_id to that anonymous user when they first visit your page. The distinct_id lives in the cookie or local storage of the user's device and is their unique identifier; this article goes over the role that distinct_id plays in your reports, but it is the crux of Mixpanel reporting; for every event, there is a distinct_id that fired it.

Alias and Identify
You call 'Alias' once at registration, which creates a value which maps the user's credentials to the original distinct_id, thus linking the user's previously anonymous activity to their registered account. Alias does not change the distinct_id.

You then call 'Identify' upon login, which will update the distinct_id value in the cookie/local storage to reflect the value you called 'Identify' on (which should be the same identifier you aliased). Then, Mixpanel recognizes that value as an existing Alias and maps the activity back to that original distinct_id. So, if a user first visits your site and registers on their iPad, and then the next day logs in on their Android device, Mixpanel will know that the post-login activity on the Android is actually the same user who was on that iPad the day before.

You can check out their developer documentation to see how to implement Mixpanel with different libraries. Also, their When To User Multiple Projects article helps decided if you want to send your data from multiple platforms to one project or to separate projects.

Hope this helps you out!

Userlevel 4
Badge

Thank you @toddg! This helped tremendously.