Solved

Help! - Identify users and passing user properties

• 20 March 2021
  • 3 replies

I’m really struggling with identification of users. Our developers went in and fixed the server side alias and identification of new users. For new users it seems to work. But what about all the users before the implementation? According to the guide, it should be enough to simply identify them (and not use alias), could someone please help explain what we need to do exactly? Furthermore, at the moment, the client side and server side are showing two different IDs for the same user. I suppose we need to merge them? It says that you can’t unmerge so I’m really concerned with getting it right the first time. What should we think of doing to make sure we don’t mess anything up?

Secondly, I tried to update one user profile manually just to see if it would send all the data over automatically. I went to update one user in the Mixpanel dashboard and added the $distinct_id with the corresponding ID number from the Live View in Mixpanel dashboard and the name and email that I had from our database. It did identify that user but now all the client side user properties (browser, device, and all the other Mixpanel properties) was not switched over to the user. They are all showing up when I go the Live View however. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance. This image shows what I mean:

icon

Best answer by Muffaddal Qutbuddin 23 March 2021, 17:55

Live view properties are event properties and not user properties. User profile will start to show user propertiesas soon as that user is identified. 

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hello @cabdirazzaq , for the first issue. With new merge identity you only have to call identify and not use alias. Pass unique id in the call. Id can be an id from backend or it can also be email address of the user. 

Mixpanel.identify(‘someTest@email.com’);
you can do this call on front end directly whenever you get the user id.

for 2nd, I didn’t fully understand why you manually entered the distinct id. But to update the user properties via code you can simply do it using people call of mixpanel. So for example to send login method as user property you can do mixpanel.people.set('login_method', 'google');

see here for more details: https://developer.mixpanel.com/docs/javascript-full-api-reference#mixpanelpeopleset

also to manually add properties in mixpanel profile, simply open the profile and add/edit the properties 

@Muffaddal Qutbuddin Thank you for your answer. But what about the user properties? In the picture I showed, in the live view, you can see all the tracked properties (e.g. browser, device, city etc). These are not shown when we go to the user profile. How do we get all of these properties to show up on our user profile? Can we do this on client side with Google Tag Manager or we need to do it on the server side?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Live view properties are event properties and not user properties. User profile will start to show user propertiesas soon as that user is identified. 

Mixpanel