Question

Event type and number of occurrences are not accurately measured.

• 5 November 2020
  • 1 reply

• New Participant
  • 0 replies

We are also recording events in our database simultaneously when sending them to MixPanel. This is recorded as a single row in a single data and is very reliable.

We found two problems by comparing our data with those of MixPanel.

First, the difference in the number recorded daily for one event is too large.
However, if you add all the event figures for a month, the numbers are similar. At first, it was expected to be a jet lag problem, but the difference was so large that it was discarded.

Secondly, some of the types of events sent are not recorded in the MixPanel. We use about 1,200 kinds of events. However, only 700 of these events are recorded in the MixPanel.

We searched and tested the solution, but we couldn't find a solution. I'd like to ask for your help.

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @ted 

First I wanted to share this resource, which illuminates common reasons why data can look different in Mixpanel: 

The important thing to remember here is that Mixpanel will ingest anything that you send it, but the format is important if you are comparing it to a different database because you may not be comparing apples to apples. 

As you point out, 

First, the difference in the number recorded daily for one event is too large.
However, if you add all the event figures for a month, the numbers are similar. 

This could be driven by how the event is recorded (event name, distinct_id) in Mixpanel vs how it is recorded in your own database.

To address your second point,

Secondly, some of the types of events sent are not recorded in the MixPanel. We use about 1,200 kinds of events. However, only 700 of these events are recorded in the MixPanel.

I’d first suggest for you to look at your source code and see how the data is getting sent. If you are expecting a specific event that you do not see, go to where that event is sent and confirm that the name you are expecting is what you have coded in.

Mixpanel