Question

Custom property or custom cohort to show events done only in a specific month by its active users

• 18 November 2021
  • 3 replies

I defined my monthly active users as users who have at least 1 Specific Event in a fixed period of time (from beginning of month until the end of the month) and I defined this for each month of 2021, active users in May, June, July etc following the above rule. 

Ok so now whenever I want to see Insights like amount of events done by June active-users only in June I have to create a new bin or bucket with a new letter specifying the event the June cohort and then I have to manually insert $date which is translated into Date and set “contains” 2021-06 and I am able to see the June active users who did a specific event only in June. 

The issue is that this is not scalable at all… and Mixpanel as far as I know does not allow the creation of future cohort up-front. Each month I have to create a new cohort for active users in that specific month and I have to add this as a new bin letter to each of my Reports. If I use the breakdown and set there all of my cohorts, I will get an aggregated event number showing all the events done by June active users but what I really need is June only events done by June active-users.

Can I achieve the scalability through a custom property or a custom cohort so I can forget to update each month all of my reports with newly cohorts and set the $date accordingly ?

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi!  Matt here.  So this is an interesting question.  I’m not sure I fully grasp your scenario, but I did want to call out the month breakdown capability we have:

Would this breakdown solve your issue or not?  If not, how does it fall short?  If you could send a screenshot of your optimal report that could be helpful. 

Cheers,

-Matt

Hi!  Matt here.  So this is an interesting question.  I’m not sure I fully grasp your scenario, but I did want to call out the month breakdown capability we have:

Would this breakdown solve your issue or not?  If not, how does it fall short?  If you could send a screenshot of your optimal report that could be helpful. 

Cheers,

-Matt

Hey Matt, I attached 4 screenshots, 2 with what I would like to achieve, graph + logic behind, and the other 2 are in the way you specified with the breakdown, place monthly active users cohorts there. And you can see that the results are different, meaning that I cannot achieve what I want by using your proposed solution. I need the X events just in Y month done by Y monthly active users and this process repeats for Y+1 (induction) in the future months. I would like to automatize this, or scale this, so I wouldn’t need to add each time the Y+n cohorts to each of my Reports.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @AlsiQwyk thanks for sharing the further screenshots, upon reading your added detail I’m changing this post to an idea so we can submit it as a feature request to our product team. Feel free to add any further detail to this thread and you’ll be able to keep track here.