Solved

Create user profile for existing users

• 8 February 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi I have this scenario that I couldn’t figure out so far:

Im implementing mixpanel for an existing web app. I call alias followed by mixpanel.people.set() on sign up to create user profiles. On Login I would only call identify() to link events to an already existing profile.

The problem happens with already pre-mixpanel signed up users. They won’t sign up so mixpanel.people.set() won’t be called and hence all existing signed up users pre-mixpanel won’t have a user profile. The only way I can think of is to check upon login if the user has a user profile in mixpanel and if not call mixpanel.people.set(), but how can I get this information whether a user already has a user profile in mixpanel?

icon

Best answer by Muffaddal Qutbuddin 10 February 2021, 13:22

Hello @berliner , you don’t have to check if profile exist to create a user profile for old users. Just call identify on login will create you a new profile if doesn’t exist.

about the people property if it something that can be also set on login then by all means do it. it won’t break anything.

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hello @berliner , you don’t have to check if profile exist to create a user profile for old users. Just call identify on login will create you a new profile if doesn’t exist.

about the people property if it something that can be also set on login then by all means do it. it won’t break anything.

Hello @berliner , you don’t have to check if profile exist to create a user profile for old users. Just call identify on login will create you a new profile if doesn’t exist.

thanks @Muffaddal Qutbuddin  Didn’t know that identify creates a profile if it doesn’t exist.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hello @berliner , you don’t have to check if profile exist to create a user profile for old users. Just call identify on login will create you a new profile if doesn’t exist.

thanks @Muffaddal Qutbuddin  Didn’t know that identify creates a profile if it doesn’t exist.

Glad to help.

Mixpanel