Question

Can we edit user profiles of an anonymous user?

• 8 December 2020
  • 1 reply

• New Participant
  • 0 replies

So I am developing an Apps to create order and doesn’t use any Login procedures, so any order created by a user will managed using their phone number and address they input.
Then, I use mixpanel to track events, but I didn’t understand why all of my anonymous  users doesn’t contains any properties that I set for them on my React application.

This is the example that I do on my Application

userProps = {

$phone : userPhoneNumber,

$name : userFullName

};

this.mixpanel.people.set(userProps);

But the anonymous user data is Not Updated as I expected to has a phone number and a name.
My questions is
1. Is there anyway to make it possible to identify user using mixpanel default distinct id created for anonymous user then add user properties that I wannted to add.
2. I think a way, but doesn’t know how to validate because my apps is running right now too, it will complicate a little if there a dummy data on testing. so I want to validate this idea. Can I do it like this?

this.mixpanel.alias(userPhoneNumber, mixpanel.get_distinct_id());

this.mixpanel.identify(userPhoneNumber);
userProps = {

$phone : userPhoneNumber,

$name : userFullName

};

this.mixpanel.people.set(userProps);

But alias call will called if user use other device with same phone number, will mixpanel merge the distinct id on that two different device used by one phone number?

Thank you, that’s all, hope there is other people using the same flow as me(doesn’t implements login system for user)

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@Fran 

To answer your main question,

Is there anyway to make it possible to identify user using mixpanel default distinct id created for anonymous user then add user properties that I wanted to add.

I’d suggest that you enable ID Merge. It is designed specifically for this type of user flow, so that you can connect anonymous user activity with identified activity. https://help.mixpanel.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039133851-Moving-to-Identity-Merge

Mixpanel