Solved

Can't no longer see event properties for an old event in the GUI

• 15 April 2020
  • 2 replies

I am looking back at an old event that hasn’t fired in about 60-90 days and whereas I used to be able to breakdown and filter this event by event properties, I can no longer see the event properties.  I can see them when I export the data using JQL but really need to be able to create a specific report in the mixpanel GUI using these properties

icon

Best answer by stephanie 15 April 2020, 19:38

Hi @wonder_chris,

If an event is not fired within the last 30 days, Mixpanel automatically hides it in the dropdown menus to help declutter and to minimize loading time. There are two ways to get the events to show up back on the UI. 

First, if you find that an Event, Property, or Property value was hidden that you would like to select in the dropdown, you can force it to reappear by firing that Event or Property again. Once it’s been re-triggered, it will reappear in the dropdown with all historical data.

If the automatically hidden item in question was an Event, note that once an Event gets re-triggered, you can create a Custom Event with the unfiltered, historical Event selected as the sole parameter. Custom Events are not automatically hidden after 30 days, so moving forward, this will prevent the Event from being removed from dropdown again.

The second way to make show up on the UI if you know the exact value of the property,  you can specify the event and property by clicking the type of property you are looking for (event/user) > typing out the property name (case sensitive) > clicking the "+ property_name" which allows you to specifically use the value you entered.

For example I have a test project I have not used in months and the event Checkout with event property Products that is not showing up in the UI. In the giphy below I have made them show up by clicking the “+ Checkout” on events and the Breakdown “+Products”. 

The second way is a quick way to make it show up, for long term I would suggestion doing the first way.

Hope this helps!

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hi @wonder_chris,

If an event is not fired within the last 30 days, Mixpanel automatically hides it in the dropdown menus to help declutter and to minimize loading time. There are two ways to get the events to show up back on the UI. 

First, if you find that an Event, Property, or Property value was hidden that you would like to select in the dropdown, you can force it to reappear by firing that Event or Property again. Once it’s been re-triggered, it will reappear in the dropdown with all historical data.

If the automatically hidden item in question was an Event, note that once an Event gets re-triggered, you can create a Custom Event with the unfiltered, historical Event selected as the sole parameter. Custom Events are not automatically hidden after 30 days, so moving forward, this will prevent the Event from being removed from dropdown again.

The second way to make show up on the UI if you know the exact value of the property,  you can specify the event and property by clicking the type of property you are looking for (event/user) > typing out the property name (case sensitive) > clicking the "+ property_name" which allows you to specifically use the value you entered.

For example I have a test project I have not used in months and the event Checkout with event property Products that is not showing up in the UI. In the giphy below I have made them show up by clicking the “+ Checkout” on events and the Breakdown “+Products”. 

The second way is a quick way to make it show up, for long term I would suggestion doing the first way.

Hope this helps!

Hello - are there plans on the product roadmap to make this 30-day window customizable so that customers can change the duration (ex: 1 year instead of 1 month) or even turn it off?

This window for disappearing events is not discoverable at all in the UI. My team only found it when we went looking for an old event that had been renamed for v2 of the feature and could no longer access the data for v1. We were questioning our own sanity--I swear we used to send this data… right? Then where is it?

This is a huge gap in an analytics platform for any company iteratively developing a new product. Besides the event data being hidden, the definitions in the Lexicon disappeared, too. It makes the Lexicon unreliable as a source of record for what different event names and properties mean because there’s an unknown subset that is missing.

Barring a change to how the feature operates, I’d like to see an option for examining “defunct” events and properties within the Mixpanel UI and being able to un-hide them without re-firing the event. The “send one more event” workaround is impractical because of the high engineering costs. We already removed the code that ran v1 of the feature. It’s not as simple as “just do the thing one more time.”

Mixpanel