Question

What is the difference between User and Profile?

• 11 September 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

When I go to Users > Explore and click on (SHOWING XXX OF YYY PROFILES), I get two options

- Show Users

- Show Profiles

I tried both, but I wasn't able to find the difference. In my case, the user count is greater than profile count.

What is the difference between User and Profile?

Thanks

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey @ragularuban,

It is my understanding that a profile is group of information about an individual user, that comes with a distinct ID. When it says, showing 100 of 500 profiles, depending on your search criteria, this will show you how many user profiles meet your search and are showing up out of your total profiles you have.

In regards to the options of Show Users and Show Profiles, can you share a screenshot of where you see this? I cannot seem to find it in my Explore report :(

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @monica.erdmann

Thanks for the reply.

Here's the screenshot. (You will have to click on SHOWING XXX OF YYY PROFILES to get the dropdown)

Userlevel 3
Badge

Awesome, thanks for sharing! I have also seen the user term be used in the Insights report. From my understanding I believe a user is the an individual using your product and a profile is group of information about an individual user.

Userlevel 1
Badge

correct me on this,

"a user is the an individual using your product and a profile is group of information about an individual user."

does that mean a profile is equivalent to a session?
Eg: Same user with the same distinctId logs-in through mobile and desktop. In this scenario two profiles are created with a single user?

Userlevel 3
Badge

hey @ragularuban, sorry I missed your comment. I do not think that it would create two different profiles. Profiles are created when you do a mixpanel.people.set call. I believe it will take into account that a "user" is using your application but does not necessarily have a profile stored for them. Does that make sense?

Mixpanel