Question

Track dashboard views

• 15 October 2021
  • 3 replies

• New Participant
  • 1 reply

Hi - we are just getting started in our Mixpanel journey and have something I can’t quite figure out.

Within our product we have a ‘dashboard builder’ type tool. This allows a small subset of advanced users to build dashboards that many end users can view and interact with (Not that dissimilar to Mixpanel itself but in a different domain and with very different data)

Something we think is important is how many ‘insights’ are generated by our users. We think a good proxy measure for this would be the number of dashboards that are either viewed or shared by more than 5 people within a week.

I can’t work out how to create this kind of report in Mixpanel. I can easily get a report showing how many users share or view a dashboard but I can’t work out how to get a report that shows how many dashboards are shared/viewed more than X times.

The closest I can get is a report that shows the number of views/shares broken down by dashboard in a bar chart. This shows the top dashboards by number of views (I’ve excluded shares for now). I kind of want this chart but just showing the % that are > 5 and the % that are < 5. Is this possible?

Within the ‘load a dashboard’ event (and ‘share dashboard’ event) we are tracking the ‘dashboardId’ property.

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @jday you may be able to create a custom property that will group the bars you see based on the the quantity so >5 can be “high volume” and <5 as “low volume” then you will be able to see the breakdown with these titles. Toggle the visualisation to show the % of all activity is classed as high/low and add another breakdown to show the dashboard IDs/names. Hope this helps?

Hi @jday you may be able to create a custom property that will group the bars you see based on the the quantity so >5 can be “high volume” and <5 as “low volume” then you will be able to see the breakdown with these titles. Toggle the visualisation to show the % of all activity is classed as high/low and add another breakdown to show the dashboard IDs/names. Hope this helps?

Hi @Jaz-CommunityManager - thanks for the reply and sorry for taking a while to respond.

This sounds like a great idea but I can’t work out how to best implement this. Any help would be amazing.

The thing I’m struggling with is how to create the buckets since the property `dashboardid` is just a string property that exists on each event call. I’ve reviewed the help documentation for custom properties but can’t figure it out.

What I think I want to do is something like below, where I work out how many events contain ‘dashboardID’ and then if that is >5, assign it to a bucket. This obviously isn’t possible or how properties work in Mixpanel so I feel like I’m a bit back to square one!

if(sum(unique(dashboardid)) > 5, "High", "Low")

Badge +1

@jday I think I understand what @Jaz-CommunityManager is saying but I can’t get the logic quite right. The syntax I’m using is:

But you can’t ‘sum’ a text field so I feel like what you need to be able to do is to use the property that you define early in creating the insight report:

But I can’t see a way to do this