Question

Saving retention reports based on cohorts

• 3 March 2022
  • 1 reply

Hello,

I have a retention report that is based on our most engaged users which is a dynamic cohort that I’ve defined using user properties and funnels. The membership in this cohort changes over time.

I’m tracking retention for this cohort using a cohort filter. I’d like to be able save snapshots of the retention report and then compare them, but because the cohort is dynamic, people are coming into the cohort all the time. When membership changes I can see different results in retention periods that were 2 or 3 months back, so I can’t track retention over time properly.

Is there a way that I can save a copy of my dynamic cohort whenever I want to take a snapshot? So for example, today (March 3, 2022) I have 3000 users in the cohort and I’d like to take a copy of the cohort without the dynamic definition and always be able to recreate the retention report I ran on March 3rd, 2022. But I can’t see any way of doing that, if I do Cohorts-->View Users-->Save, mixpanel just saves a new cohort with the same dynamic definition I started with.

Is saving the cohort at a point in time a good way of saving a reproducible retention snapshot? Are there other ways?

Right now I’m taking screenshots and saving CSVs of my retention report, but that’s pretty awful.

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @baback 

Sorry it took so long to get back you about this.

Unfortunately this is something that will require a bit of a workaround. You will need to go into the users tab as you have already done, and then recreate the actions done in your funnel, but this time with a fixed date that you have. So instead of rolling “last 30 days” instead do Feb 2 - Mar 3 for example and it will be static time.

Hopefully that works.

Matt