Question

Sankey diagram not showing different user flows to final event

• 11 December 2020
  • 3 replies

I’m new to Mixpanel and just testing to see if it will work for our purposes. To that end I’m attempting to create a “Flows” report which visualises a user journey through different screens in our app but I don’t seem to be able to get the visualisation to show all the test data I have sent.

I have an event called: “TestScreen”. In that event I add a parameter called “name” which is set to a string which describes a page in the app.

I also have an event called: “TestComplete”.

In my app I am sending mock user flows through to mixpanel by logging the “TestScreen” event multiple times (3 second wait between each call) with different “name” parameters set. After the screen events I call the ‘TestComplete” event.

For reference I sent through flows containing the “TestScreen” event with these parameter flows (numbers signify the “name” parameter appended to the word Screen.

0, 1, 2, 3, 4

0, 3, 2, 1, 4

0, 3, 2, 5, 4

After all these flows I called the “TestComplete” event and in the live view I can see that all this data is coming through correctly.

I then set up a Flows report with the Step being the “TestComplete” event. I “Expand Eveents By Property” on “testScreen” events with the “name” parameter. I then add 5 steps before that event in the visualisation.

My expectation here would be I would see that while all ‘users’ start on Screen0 they then split between pages as a next step before combining back at “Screen4” before ending at the “TextComplete” event. However instead the visualisation suggests all all ‘users’ flow from Screen0 → Screen1 → Screen2 → Screen3 → Screen4 → TestComplete

Am I misunderstanding how this chart works? Or am I doing something wrong that is stopping the chart working correctly?

I have also attached an image showing my setup.

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hello @travisfgmnt,

Are you looking to simulate multiple different user?

If it’s the case, did you reset the distinct_id for each user before testing?

Hello @travisfgmnt,

Are you looking to simulate multiple different user?

If it’s the case, did you reset the distinct_id for each user before testing?

Hi Robin- sending with distinct ids did work which is great. Does this mean however that we can only follow the user flow the first time a user moves through a certain event flow?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Not sure trying to see individual user’s path is the point of flow. 

If you want to see the events of a particular user won’t the strem of events on their user profile be a better place?

For some other analysis, funnel may be a better way.

Flow is good to see “generally” how people reach your intended step and is useful when there are lots of user actions on the site and certain flow of actions are likely to stand out.

Mixpanel