Question

Reporting on event properties in array

• 12 June 2020
  • 1 reply

Hi guys, I have implemented Mixpanel through Segment, and I’m having trouble reporting on event properties. I have an event that has an array of properties attached to it. I am trying to build a report in Insights that looks at the count of individual properties, but Mixpanel is grouping all these properties into one. I hope this makes sense, but the screenshot below might help visualize.

I have tried following these steps (and the linked article) to Typecast these properties into a list, but have not been able to get it to work for me. Is there another way I can break out these event properties to report on their volume individually? Or perhaps any tips for getting Typecast to work so I can report on each element of the array individually?

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@itsalx —

Mixpanel can process objects as property values, however it comes with the limitations that you’ve already pointed out . Take your example,

"changes": {"guide_type": updated,"instant_confirmation": updated,"max_group_size": updated,"trip_difficulty": updated}

In Mixpanel this would be processed on an event as the "changes" property with each value as an object. Please note that if the object is surrounded in quotation marks, either single (') or double (") it will get processed as a string. For example:

'{object: "will get processed as a string"}'"{object: 'will also get processed as a string'}"{object: 'will get processed as an object'

Now, when I say objects have limitations in Mixpanel, what I mean is they while they can be filtered nicely — You are able to filter by each key in an object — when it comes to using an object property as a breakdown category, Mixpanel will treat the whole object as one value and you will not be able to breakdown by the individual keys.

If you are looking to use a property with an object as the value to breakdown a report, my suggestion out be to flatten the object and use each object key directly as an event property.