Solved

Insights cumulative number different from Funnel first step

• 14 April 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi,

I am comparing an Insights report on a single event and a Funnel with the same exact event as the first step. I set both of the date ranges to be “Since January 28, 2020”, and then update the Insights graph from Linear to Cumulative. I would expect the Insights cumulative number to be the same as the first step in the funnel, but the Insights report shows 20% more hits than the funnel. Also, this discrepancy exists whether I add a filter on the event or not, and also whether I choose Unique or Total. 

Does anyone know why these would be different or what I am missing here? 

Thanks in advance for your help!

icon

Best answer by stephanie 15 April 2020, 22:47

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi @pianodev,

By any chance can you share how the Insights and Funnels reports look like? It would help me pinpoint what is happening. Going off what you have shared, since you are looking at Cumulative count in the Insights report, this will add up the values of each point on the graph as it goes along, so the height of the line will increase over time. More on value settings here

If our reports are set to unique count, the Insights report would look at unique users or distinct_ids that trigger the first event(Event A), but each of those users can be counted for more than one day because they are "unique" for that day. Meaning if you did Event A on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, I would be counted as 3 times in the cumulative view of the Insights report. So this would explain why you could be seeing a higher number in your Insights report in contrast to your Funnel report. 

You can switch the graph to a bar view looking at Linear calculation, the day granularity is not taken into account and just looks at the total times unique users have triggered the first event (event A). This should help match a more accurate number on the first Funnel step. 

Hope this makes sense and gives some clarity on what could be happening!

Hi Stephanie, #feedback:

For the user (myself at least), that behavior is not expected..

IF

For 1 day a UNIQUE USER is a unique distinct id that first performed an event THAT DAY,

For the selected period, say 1 week, a UNIQUE USER should be a unique distinct id that first performed an event THAT WEEK, and not each day.

Anything different from that is unexpected and should be explained in the interface IMHO.

Hope it helps.