Solved

Identify users who have dropped out of the site and come back

• 27 April 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi, 

Our website has a sign up flow - I want to analyze the behaviour of users who have dropped out of the sign up flow but come back and visit the site later. 

Is there a way to identify users who have left the website and come back after day? For example, a time delay/window to identify users. I’m trying to answer the follow questions: 

1. How many times do these users come back and visit the website?
  2. Where on the website do these users visit when they come back? 

Please let me there’s any other ways I can grab/analyze those questions. I’m relatively new on Mixpanel so any and all help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you! 

icon

Best answer by Peishan 30 April 2020, 04:58

Hi Nathalie,

Answer 1: Here’s a possible cohort you could create with a time delay:

This shows you on a rolling basis, the users who came to look at the sign up page on day 1, did not complete the flow, but came back a day later.

Answer 2: I don’t have access to your report, but is url or page title a property of the page load event you’re tracking? If so, you can expand the page load event by that property to see the detail. I’d recommend using page titles rather than URL since those can get messy especially if you have a lot of events with UTM tags (the cardinality would be too high).

Answer 3: You’d like to see the total number of times a user visited the site after dropping out… Ok one way to see this would be to create an Insights report to show the average number of “All Events” done, broken down by the cohort above.

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi Nathalie,

Yes, this analysis is definitely possible. Just to clarify, when you say the user returns later, do they then complete the sign up flow?

Scenario A: The user does complete the flow at a later time.

To assess the number of times the user took to restart the flow before they complete it, you can use the Funnel Frequency report. I.e. Create a funnel that shows e.g. User lands on sign up page → User signs up. Look at funnel frequency to see the number of times the user took to land on sign up page before they signed up. 

You can also look at the time to convert report in Funnels to see the time taken to convert.

Scenario B: The user doesn’t complete the sign up flow, but does come back to the site again.

You could create a cohort of this user. E.g. In the Explore report, create a cohort of users who (a) Lands on sign up page but (b) doesn’t sign up. Then you can apply this cohort to the Retention Frequency report to see the number of times these users have returned.

To see where on the site these users go when they return you can go to the Flows report. Apply the cohort as your filter, and set the report to show “Event Paths Starting with Session Start”. That should give you a sense of the top actions the users take when they return.

Hope that helps!

Hi Peishan, 

Thank you for getting back to me! I’ve tried the different suggested you outlined above and had a few follow up questions.

First, I’m more interested in Scenario B: the user doesn’t complete the sign up flow, but does come back to the site again. 

1. I created a cohort that (a) Lands on sign up page but (b) doesn’t sign up. Is it possible to create a time delay condition between the two events? I.e. I’m interested in users who came back after at least a day. 
  2. The Flows Report shows the top actions, but the main category is “loaded a page” (see image attached)  - I’m unable to see which pages on the website they visit, only that they visited a page. I’ve tried using the “Expand” and “Breakdown” features but it still doesn’t work. Would you recommend url or website tracking to see where on the site they visit?

The Retention Frequency Report gives me the cumulative minimum number of hours in a day users did Anything (see image below). It does not give the number of times a customer visits the site after dropping out. How would you suggest proceeding?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi Nathalie,

Answer 1: Here’s a possible cohort you could create with a time delay:

This shows you on a rolling basis, the users who came to look at the sign up page on day 1, did not complete the flow, but came back a day later.

Answer 2: I don’t have access to your report, but is url or page title a property of the page load event you’re tracking? If so, you can expand the page load event by that property to see the detail. I’d recommend using page titles rather than URL since those can get messy especially if you have a lot of events with UTM tags (the cardinality would be too high).

Answer 3: You’d like to see the total number of times a user visited the site after dropping out… Ok one way to see this would be to create an Insights report to show the average number of “All Events” done, broken down by the cohort above.

Mixpanel