Question

How to view the top/least N used events ? Why a hidden event in Lexicon is showing up in All Events (total) ?

I created an Insight Report showing All Events (Total) breakdown by Event Name and I set the bar graph to summarize all data. I have 65 different events in total. I get a bar graph showing total events by their name. How can I restrict this list to top/least used ? I want to see the top N or bottom N from all these bars. Is it possible ?

I know Mixpanel has a built-in feature like Top Events (total) where it shows top 12 most used events. So in theory I know this is possible but I don't know the conditions to restrict my list of All Events to just first/last N ones.

Also if I set an event in Lexicon to be hidden, why does it show up in the list of all events ?

2 replies

Badge

Hi AlsiQwk -- 

I work at Mixpanel -- the bad news is what you’re describing is not possible, but the good news is that it’s something we are actively thinking about. 

As it stands, you can run the query that you just described and sort by value / ascending (or descending), which you probably already know, but just want to be sure :) From then, you can check / uncheck values on the right hand side. 

//

When you mark an event as "hidden" it only hides that event from the dropdown when selecting an event, but will not hide it from a report. If you want to hide that data from a report, you will need to uncheck the checkbox in the legend on the right. If this isn’t desired behavior, would love to hear why so that I can speak with product. 

Thanks!

Hi AlsiQwk -- 

I work at Mixpanel -- the bad news is what you’re describing is not possible, but the good news is that it’s something we are actively thinking about. 

As it stands, you can run the query that you just described and sort by value / ascending (or descending), which you probably already know, but just want to be sure :) From then, you can check / uncheck values on the right hand side. 

//

When you mark an event as "hidden" it only hides that event from the dropdown when selecting an event, but will not hide it from a report. If you want to hide that data from a report, you will need to uncheck the checkbox in the legend on the right. If this isn’t desired behavior, would love to hear why so that I can speak with product. 

Thanks!

Hello Nick,

Thank you for your answer. Checking/unchecking categories from the right side is not desirable for us because we have a lot of event names over 60. From these not all are relevant so we would like to show only the relevant ones and apply the sorting to those. Having a client to click more than 20 times is quite annoying, and here I bring up another Mixpanel limitation: when you finally set your wanted categories you cannot save the Report so the next time you open it, it will have the last save point (e.g the relevant events only). Even if you save the Report, when you come back you still have to check/uncheck most of them. However to this I found out a workaround: we set a filter with event name [not equals] and we selected from the list of events the irrelevant ones, so we can have our wanted data sorted. This is also persistent after a save of the Report, so it worked out pretty well.

Mixpanel