Solved

How to understand WAU on different time scales

• 30 June 2020
  • 1 reply

I’m having a hard time interpreting WAU when viewed by day. The main reason I’m confused is because I see these little plateaus in WAU when viewed daily, but they don’t always last exactly 7 days. 

I am thinking this is how to interpret these numbers but wondering if there are any experts who can give a better explanation:

• WAU on any given hour: distinct active users for the past 7 days, ending with that exact hour
  • WAU on any given day: distinct active users for the past 7 days, ending with that day (so can view any week, like Thursday - Thursday)
  • WAU on any given week: distinct active users for that week (based on calendar weeks)
icon

Best answer by mattsmith 2 July 2020, 17:51

Hi @claireanalyzer 

The WAU calculation in the dropdown in Insights is always looking at the last 7 days worth of data, and then giving it to you in the manor you’ve asked for it.

That means if you’re breaking down WAU by day, and you’re looking at today (Thursday 2nd July) then the WAU for today shows the total number of active users from today, and 6 days previously. The WAU shown for yesterday is from yesterday, and 6 days before that, and on and on.

If you have exact reports you’re looking at you could always send them to me in a private message so I can look into them further.

Thanks a lot,

Matt

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi @claireanalyzer 

The WAU calculation in the dropdown in Insights is always looking at the last 7 days worth of data, and then giving it to you in the manor you’ve asked for it.

That means if you’re breaking down WAU by day, and you’re looking at today (Thursday 2nd July) then the WAU for today shows the total number of active users from today, and 6 days previously. The WAU shown for yesterday is from yesterday, and 6 days before that, and on and on.

If you have exact reports you’re looking at you could always send them to me in a private message so I can look into them further.

Thanks a lot,

Matt