Solved

How to track the number of Screens/Clicks between two specific actions

Badge

Hello everyone,

For a streaming app, we have a Funnel from event Search Started to event Search Completed. Search Completed means engaging with a result displayed (Play, Like, Add to Playlist, ...)

Their is no really linear way to get from A to B you could do it in 1 step or 10+ steps. The less steps means our recommandation engine is doing a good job showing you the good results first.

We want to mesure :

1. The time elapsed from Search Started to Search Completed
  2. The number of screens from Search Started to Search Completed
  3. The number of clicks from Search Started to Search Completed

For the time I was thinking of a funnel with a short conversion period (2 minutes) & holding the same “Search Term” property (search term being the search query, for exemple “James Bond”). And check the median time to convert, what do you think about that ?

But for the numbers of screens of clicks I can’t find a good way to do it. We are tracking all the screens so I was thinking of Flow but I can only set a Start or an End Event not both, right ?

Otherwise a incremental properties that is reset at each new search counting the number of clicks/screens but it seems paintful to implement, QA and maintain, do you have any ideas ?

Thanks a lot,

Matthias

icon

Best answer by anca 14 May 2020, 15:20

Hello @tthias,

This is how I’d go about measuring:

In the “Time to convert” chart within the Funnels report, you’ll be able to see the distribution of averages between one step and the other, all overall at funnel level. In terms of conversion criteria, I would set the conversion window based on the median time to convert. Then, I would look at Totals instead of Uniques. I’m not sure about holding the “Search term” property constant, I don’t think it’s necessary because what you want to measure is how quickly / painless do people find something to watch. That’s my 2 cents, you know your business best :)

Depending on how you track this, you can add it as an intermediate step in the funnel. Imagine we had a “Screen viewed” event that had a “Screen name” property. Using the Funnels > Frequency chart we would be able to see:
    a. How many screens were viewed before “Search completed”
    b. A breakdown by “Screen name” so you can see which screens are people seeing before completing the search.

If you know what are the different possible events that can occur between a Search Started / Completed, you can add those into the funnel and use the Frequency report as explained above.

We are tracking all the screens so I was thinking of Flow but I can only set a Start or an End Event not both, right ?

You can use Flows with the “Search started” event as the starting point. Then, using the “Expand by property” feature you can dig deeper into the events that occur after the search was initiated. This could help when deciding what events you want to add in the funnel discussed above.

I don’t think the incremental properties idea is efficient for this use case. Do you mind trying the above solution and let me know if it worked?

Have a great day,

Anca

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello @tthias,

This is how I’d go about measuring:

In the “Time to convert” chart within the Funnels report, you’ll be able to see the distribution of averages between one step and the other, all overall at funnel level. In terms of conversion criteria, I would set the conversion window based on the median time to convert. Then, I would look at Totals instead of Uniques. I’m not sure about holding the “Search term” property constant, I don’t think it’s necessary because what you want to measure is how quickly / painless do people find something to watch. That’s my 2 cents, you know your business best :)

Depending on how you track this, you can add it as an intermediate step in the funnel. Imagine we had a “Screen viewed” event that had a “Screen name” property. Using the Funnels > Frequency chart we would be able to see:
    a. How many screens were viewed before “Search completed”
    b. A breakdown by “Screen name” so you can see which screens are people seeing before completing the search.

If you know what are the different possible events that can occur between a Search Started / Completed, you can add those into the funnel and use the Frequency report as explained above.

We are tracking all the screens so I was thinking of Flow but I can only set a Start or an End Event not both, right ?

You can use Flows with the “Search started” event as the starting point. Then, using the “Expand by property” feature you can dig deeper into the events that occur after the search was initiated. This could help when deciding what events you want to add in the funnel discussed above.

I don’t think the incremental properties idea is efficient for this use case. Do you mind trying the above solution and let me know if it worked?

Have a great day,

Anca

Badge

Thanks so much for the complete answer.

I didn’t know about the frequency aspect in the funnels. That’s exactly what I was looking for !

Have a good day

Userlevel 2
Badge

Amazing, glad I could help! 

By the way, we just launched a report you might find useful about The State of Product Analytics.

Have a lovely Friday,

Anca