Solved

How to Prevent students from sharing logins?

• 5 October 2020
  • 5 replies

We would like to know if users are sharing their account with others to access paid course materials (which is against users/instructors agreement). Mixpanel integrate with Thinkific seamlessly, however, the out of box integration imports certain Events/Users properties. 

I’m still new to mixpanel, and was wondering if someone can give a hand in how best to construct an insight report to do that. Keeping in mind that it may just be the same person on different devices accessing the course.

icon

Best answer by cherise 23 October 2020, 02:25

@mharoun 

I think you call out the most important part, that even if you determine that users are on different devices, it is important to keep in mind that they may just be the same person on different devices.

With that said, here is a list of default properties that are collected with our Client-Side SDKs. 

If you are finding that single users are signing in from multiple of the following properties, you could make an educated guess on whether it is the same or different user: 

• Device ($device)
  • Browser ($browser) 
  • City ($city) 
  • Region ($region) 
View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@mharoun 

I think you call out the most important part, that even if you determine that users are on different devices, it is important to keep in mind that they may just be the same person on different devices.

With that said, here is a list of default properties that are collected with our Client-Side SDKs. 

If you are finding that single users are signing in from multiple of the following properties, you could make an educated guess on whether it is the same or different user: 

• Device ($device)
  • Browser ($browser) 
  • City ($city) 
  • Region ($region) 

Thanks @cherise for your insight. If this is something you would be able to help out, kindly drop me a private message.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@mharoun —

Start with the default properties that I listed and let me know how it goes! 

My suggestion would be to see how often customers are using different devices and wether it is a worthwhile volume to address. You may even implement friction points in your product, such as users can only be signed into 1 device at a time.

@mharoun —

Start with the default properties that I listed and let me know how it goes! 

My suggestion would be to see how often customers are using different devices and wether it is a worthwhile volume to address. You may even implement friction points in your product, such as users can only be signed into 1 device at a time.

@cherise I would love to know more about this approach. Kindly share with me any details/externa link on how to achieve that. This could be THE FIX we need (despite it could impose some inconvenience on the user).

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@mharoun —

What SDK are you using? Additionally, are you familiar with the Insights report?

I’d do the following in Insights:

1) select your login event in Insights, and then

2) “breakdown” by first a unique user property such as email or username, and

3)  secondly one of the default properties I suggested above. 

In the case where you see a single user triggering events from multiple of the default properties, it would be the first step toward looking into this.