Solved

How to graph rate of change?

• 21 May 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge

How can we graph the rate of change? e.g. % net change in daily new user registrations.

For example:

There were 0 unique registered users on day 0, 10 new registered users on day 1,  20 new registered users on day 2 (100% increase in new users from previous day), 10 new registered users on day 3 (50% decrease from previous day) etc.

When graphing new registered users, I can see the % change from previous day automatically being calculated and shown when hovering over a data point in the graph.

What I would like to do is graph the % rate of change i.e.

x-axis: date or day number since date e.g. day 0, day 1, day 2 etc

y-axis: % rate of change from previous day in daily new registered users e.g. 100% increase, 50% decrease etc

Ideally, I would like the rate of change to be graphed in a bar chart format similar to this:

Secondly is it possible to stack multiple graphs on top of each other?

E.g.

x-axis: date

y-axis 1: cumulative new registered users, daily - line graph 

y-axis 2: associated % change in rate of new registered users, daily (above bar-type graph)

icon

Best answer by mattsmith 21 May 2020, 12:24

Hi @Chiran 

Matt again! You’re really pushing the functionality of Mixpanel reporting today, it’s great to see!

Unfortunately once again the functionality you have asked for isn’t available within Mixpanel. Indeed our bar charts in Insights have event names, dates, whatever you select along the Y axis, not the X as you have above in your example. There is also no current functionality to allow a line chart to be overlaid on top of a bar chart, you would need to have the two different charts displayed on a dashboard side by side (one bar and one line).

As for rate of change, what you can do is create a Cohort of users who have registered (either new registrations, or cumulative from your starting date). Once this cohort is create you have the option to either select it within Insights, or simply click the 3 dots next to your Cohort in the cohorts tab and select “Visualize Trend” and you will see the size of your Cohort and how it performs and changes over time in Insights. This will show you the change, and you can hover over each data point and see the % change from the day before.

Let me know if this works, thank a lot,

Matt

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi @Chiran 

Matt again! You’re really pushing the functionality of Mixpanel reporting today, it’s great to see!

Unfortunately once again the functionality you have asked for isn’t available within Mixpanel. Indeed our bar charts in Insights have event names, dates, whatever you select along the Y axis, not the X as you have above in your example. There is also no current functionality to allow a line chart to be overlaid on top of a bar chart, you would need to have the two different charts displayed on a dashboard side by side (one bar and one line).

As for rate of change, what you can do is create a Cohort of users who have registered (either new registrations, or cumulative from your starting date). Once this cohort is create you have the option to either select it within Insights, or simply click the 3 dots next to your Cohort in the cohorts tab and select “Visualize Trend” and you will see the size of your Cohort and how it performs and changes over time in Insights. This will show you the change, and you can hover over each data point and see the % change from the day before.

Let me know if this works, thank a lot,

Matt

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi @Chiran : Thanks for writing in. As Matt said, we unfortunately don’t support a “rate of change” time series, and the closest thing that you can get without putting in a bit of work is doing a UNIQUE (event) (or creating cohorts as Matt suggested) with a line graph and hovering over the data points, but as I can tell, you actually want the time-series to be representing the “rate of change” on a daily basis for the number of users, so this is possibly not good enough.

But there is another, slightly painful way to get this at the moment, and that’s with constructing two cohorts: One cohort calculates the number of users that registered on that day, and another cohort that calculates the number of users that registered on the previous day. 

You can then visualize the two cohorts in Insights:

You can then add a formula for ((last cohort count - previous cohort count)/(previous cohort count))*100.

As you can see, the rate of change matches up with what you might get if you do UNIQUE(event) and then hover over the datapoints to see the daily rate of change.

Hope this helps,

Moinak