Solved

How to Create First-Time User Cohorts?

• 29 March 2019
  • 8 replies

Badge

Hi there,

Fairly new to Mixpanel. I'm curious if there's an easy way to set up cohorts defined by users' behavior within a certain time frame immediately after first use. For instance, how would I define a cohort with new users that did the Purchase Item event 3 times within the first week of use?

Every time I try to make a cohort like this, it seems I am limited to an absolute time frame (last 30 days, March 1 to March 29, etc), instead of a subjective time frame.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by aaron 14 October 2021, 16:09

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

@lshirley where are you trying to create these cohorts? it seems like you'd have to define a "new user" first i.e. users that signed up on a specific date then add another condition where they performed an event 3 times since that signed up date.

Hey Annecamacho (& everonye), reviving an old thread here as I have the same question. I know how to define a cohort and get my sign-up event, but I don’t know how to add a filter for “performed an event 3 times since they signed-up” part.

The “since they signed up” simply doesn’t show up for me. All I can do is select a specific date when I use the “since” filter. Any ideas?

To make things 100% clear: I am looking to create a cohort that did X (event) Y times within Z days of signing up.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@Findarato — This seems like great feedback for the research that our cohorts team is doing!

Check it out here:

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

@lshirley and @Findarato you can now use the “first time filters” in the cohort builder so you can create criteria for their first x days now below we have more info on this filter here.

Thanks Jaz. Just so I’m clear, the “first time filter” in your example would mean “the first time the user had a ‘last 7 days’ event”?

So in your screenshot it would give the users who completed 7 purchases in their first 7 days?

Also, does when would “first seven days” start counting? from “First seen”? or something else?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

@Findarato Yes it would be if their first time “completing purchase” was in the last 7 days.

You would need to set a separate “group” in the query that is connected to your “sign up” or “first seen” event in the last 7 days. Then a second group with the event you want to report against. 

Let me know if that helps?

I think this still doesn’t answer my question though. I wouldn’t be able to create a cohort with all people that performed a certain action 3x within 1 week of signing up?

Badge +4

I think this still doesn’t answer my question though. I wouldn’t be able to create a cohort with all people that performed a certain action 3x within 1 week of signing up?

This is possible by combining events and first time filters. For example, this query shows all users who were added/signed up in the past 30 days, did a meaningful activity within that 30 day period, and did that meaningful activity at least once within that 30 day period.