Solved

How many times event X happened during the trial?

• 24 April 2020
  • 2 replies

We offer 7-day trial for our users. I want to figure out how many times a query_created and draft_created events occur since trial_purchase event, for the next 7 days.

Therefore I could segment the converting and non-converting users and look for insights there. I’d appreciate suggestions here :pray:

icon

Best answer by claudias 25 April 2020, 00:38

Hi Khircia, 

Claudia here from Mixpanel’s Solutions Engineering team - thank you for your question!

There are a few ways we can segment your question based on the way Mixpanel tracks data. The first thing that I would recommend up front, however, would be to track a User and Super property “Plan Type” with the values “Free Trial” and “Paid” attached to it (as well as any other plan you may offer, such as “Lower Tier Membership” etc). This way you can segment events by the properties “Plan Type = Free Trial” or “Plan Type = Paid”. You can also achieve this by tracking a user (and, if you wanted, super) property “Free Trial” with the values “True” and “False” attached to it. This would allow you to segment events and users by “Free Trial = True” or “Free Trial = False”. I recommend the first option which will give you more flexibility, but either way this may help you going forward with event segmentation. :blush: If you want to read more about tracking properties & events best practices, here is a good resource!

Assuming there is a “trial_purchased” event but no property associated with being on the Free Trial or not, I’ll walk you through the question to hopefully get you to the answer you need:

1. For our first question, we will go to our Funnels report. This question will center around the goal of grabbing the users who did and did not complete either the “query_created” and / or the “draft_created” events after firing a “trial purchased” event. It will also give us an idea of how many times the process of “trial_purchased” -> “query_createdand the “draft_created” has occurred within 7 days after the firing of the event “trial_purchased” on April 24, 2020. The first step in the funnel will be a “trial purchased” event. For the second step, we are going to create a Custom Event by clicking on “Create Custom Event” at the bottom:

You can name the event whatever you want, but make sure to add both the “query_created” and “draft_created” events to the new custom event. This is now an event that will fire whenever a “query_event” fires and which will fire when a “draft_created” event fires. 

Now that you have your custom event, we are going to change the query builder to reflect the following conversion criteria:

What this will show you is the unique users who enter the funnel because of a “trial_purchased” event on April 24, 2020 and subsequently completed a “draft & query created” event within 7 days since entering the funnel. The end result will be a funnel which somewhat resembles this: 

From here you will be able to create a cohort of the users who did and did not complete the funnel to be able analyze further. 

1. The second question is less focused on the goal of grabbing the users who have done or not done the process of events, and is more oriented around the amount of times the event has happened within 7 days of users who have done a “trial_purchased” event on April 24, 2020. Our first step for this will be to create a Cohort of people who have done a “trial_purchase” event at least one time since April 24, 2020.

From here, we will go to Mixpanel’s Insights report. For our query, will add the Total number of both the events “query_created” and “draft_created” filtered by our cohort of users which we’ve named “Started Free Trial on April 24.”

Because the numbers for 7 days from now are not available yet, once 7 days passes you can change the date range to “between April 24 and May 1” which will show you the total number of times “query_created” and “draft_created” were done only by people who started their free trial on April 24. If you need to change it to reflect people who started their free trial any time between April 24 and May 1, you will want to alter your Cohort to be people who started free trial between April 24 - May 1 and then also maintain the date range in Insights as April 24 - May 1. The result will be something like this.

Again, the first question we answered was oriented toward the goal of grabbing the users who complete the process of events within 7 days so that we can analyze the users more deeply. For the second question, we focused on getting the answer for the total amount of times the events “query_created” and “draft_created” were done within 7 days after people completed “trial_purchase” on April 24, 2020. 

If you have any follow up questions, please let me know. I hope this helps!

Best,

Claudia

Solutions Engineer - Mixpanel

View original

2 replies

Hi Khircia, 

Claudia here from Mixpanel’s Solutions Engineering team - thank you for your question!

There are a few ways we can segment your question based on the way Mixpanel tracks data. The first thing that I would recommend up front, however, would be to track a User and Super property “Plan Type” with the values “Free Trial” and “Paid” attached to it (as well as any other plan you may offer, such as “Lower Tier Membership” etc). This way you can segment events by the properties “Plan Type = Free Trial” or “Plan Type = Paid”. You can also achieve this by tracking a user (and, if you wanted, super) property “Free Trial” with the values “True” and “False” attached to it. This would allow you to segment events and users by “Free Trial = True” or “Free Trial = False”. I recommend the first option which will give you more flexibility, but either way this may help you going forward with event segmentation. :blush: If you want to read more about tracking properties & events best practices, here is a good resource!

Assuming there is a “trial_purchased” event but no property associated with being on the Free Trial or not, I’ll walk you through the question to hopefully get you to the answer you need:

1. For our first question, we will go to our Funnels report. This question will center around the goal of grabbing the users who did and did not complete either the “query_created” and / or the “draft_created” events after firing a “trial purchased” event. It will also give us an idea of how many times the process of “trial_purchased” -> “query_createdand the “draft_created” has occurred within 7 days after the firing of the event “trial_purchased” on April 24, 2020. The first step in the funnel will be a “trial purchased” event. For the second step, we are going to create a Custom Event by clicking on “Create Custom Event” at the bottom:

You can name the event whatever you want, but make sure to add both the “query_created” and “draft_created” events to the new custom event. This is now an event that will fire whenever a “query_event” fires and which will fire when a “draft_created” event fires. 

Now that you have your custom event, we are going to change the query builder to reflect the following conversion criteria:

What this will show you is the unique users who enter the funnel because of a “trial_purchased” event on April 24, 2020 and subsequently completed a “draft & query created” event within 7 days since entering the funnel. The end result will be a funnel which somewhat resembles this: 

From here you will be able to create a cohort of the users who did and did not complete the funnel to be able analyze further. 

1. The second question is less focused on the goal of grabbing the users who have done or not done the process of events, and is more oriented around the amount of times the event has happened within 7 days of users who have done a “trial_purchased” event on April 24, 2020. Our first step for this will be to create a Cohort of people who have done a “trial_purchase” event at least one time since April 24, 2020.

From here, we will go to Mixpanel’s Insights report. For our query, will add the Total number of both the events “query_created” and “draft_created” filtered by our cohort of users which we’ve named “Started Free Trial on April 24.”

Because the numbers for 7 days from now are not available yet, once 7 days passes you can change the date range to “between April 24 and May 1” which will show you the total number of times “query_created” and “draft_created” were done only by people who started their free trial on April 24. If you need to change it to reflect people who started their free trial any time between April 24 and May 1, you will want to alter your Cohort to be people who started free trial between April 24 - May 1 and then also maintain the date range in Insights as April 24 - May 1. The result will be something like this.

Again, the first question we answered was oriented toward the goal of grabbing the users who complete the process of events within 7 days so that we can analyze the users more deeply. For the second question, we focused on getting the answer for the total amount of times the events “query_created” and “draft_created” were done within 7 days after people completed “trial_purchase” on April 24, 2020. 

If you have any follow up questions, please let me know. I hope this helps!

Best,

Claudia

Solutions Engineer - Mixpanel

@claudias thanks so much for your answer but It does not solve my problem tbh :( we don’t have the properties in place just yet (we will likely have them tomorrow) so I’m working with just events.

Let’s say I implemented a change in our onboarding process in order to increase the number of queries created during the trial period. Going date by date and creating so many cohorts sounds daunting.

All I need is a number, like:

1. Before April 1st, trial users created X queries on average during trial period (based on data from the whole month or longer)
  2. After April 1st, trial users created X queries on average during trial period (based on data from the whole month or longer)

Only that way I can get a relevant number since the sample is good.

Any advice?