Solved

How can I measure frequency of an event?

• 6 July 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Goal: find how frequently the average user completes event x and comes back to do it again.

Product is not used daily or even weekly for the most part. When using the frequency report it appears the x axis is measured in daily increments even when month is turned on.

Interested to hear your thoughts @mattsmith 

icon

Best answer by mattsmith 7 July 2020, 12:40

Hi @arshia93 

You’re right, the Frequency chart in Retention uses the Weeks/Months selector to bucket your users together, and then sees how many days they triggered your chosen event within your period. This wont exactly answer your question.

Could you not use Insights to achieve this? All you would need to do is select your Event x and then instead of looking at Total, simply look at Average. This will show you the average number of times each user does your event within the timeframe you choose. Then you can filter by the Cohorts you created in your other example, and see how many times on average these users do that event.

Thanks a lot,

Matt

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi @arshia93 

You’re right, the Frequency chart in Retention uses the Weeks/Months selector to bucket your users together, and then sees how many days they triggered your chosen event within your period. This wont exactly answer your question.

Could you not use Insights to achieve this? All you would need to do is select your Event x and then instead of looking at Total, simply look at Average. This will show you the average number of times each user does your event within the timeframe you choose. Then you can filter by the Cohorts you created in your other example, and see how many times on average these users do that event.

Thanks a lot,

Matt

Badge +1

@mattsmith thanks that was much easier than I expected :sweat_smile:

While we’re at it, considering my product isn’t used daily, what would be the best way to measure the average frequency in weeks for my users that complete event x?  

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@arshia93 when you’re breaking down your event, you *should* have a property called “Date” which we have created for you. Within that property you can choose day, week, month, even hour, to breakdown the specific event.

What I would do it select Week, and then still keep your calculation as Average, which should be what you need.

Matt

Badge +1

@mattsmith sorry if I didn’t make it more clear, my last question was related to the frequency report (assuming insights report isn’t the right way to measure frequency). 

I need to know on average how often my users came back to complete event x. The largest interval provided is within a month. I need this but instead of every other day on the x axis it should say 1 week, 2 week, 3 week, 4 week, 5 week, 6 week etc.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@arshia93 unfortunately this isn’t possible within the Frequency report in Retention.

Your best option would be to try and recreate this in Insights, or you will have to export the data and run the analysis yourself outside of Mixpanel.

As I said before, the use cases you have with your data, with the multiple week retention, isn’t the standard use case we have meaning the report doesn’t really do what you need.

Thanks a lot,

Matt

Badge +1

@mattsmith ah bummer. Definitely a good feature for a future product release. 

Thanks for your help!