Solved

How can I discover the events free trial users who converted to paying customers did during the free trial?

• 20 April 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi.

I want to discover which events my free trial users triggered that “helped” them turn into a paying customer. But how can I do this?

I already have the “sign up for a free trial” event and algo I have the “deal won” event. I have a lot of events (things done in our SaaS app). Maybe I could try to see how many users did something and at the end converted to “deal won”? 1 by 1? If this is the answer, how can I do this? If this is not, how could I find this answers?

This is to discover the “a-ha” and “wow” moments to build a better onboarding flow using a tool to design guided tours to free trial users so we can make them do this events faster.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by stephanie 22 April 2020, 01:49

Hi @tehfo,

You can use the Funnels report to see conversion rates of users who went from  “sign up for a free trial” event to “deal won” event. 

For example, in my dummy music finder project I want to see the conversion of user who went from Account created to Purchase song, with a 30 day window conversion in the last three months (picture below).

When you have multiple steps in your Funnel and choose to have them in any order steps, you have the option to select Top paths from the drop-down list to view a Sankey visualization of how your users are performing the steps in your funnel.

I also want to share that Flows is a good report to see what paths your users are taking starting or ending at certain event. For example, below I have anchored my Flows report to end with Purchase song to see what events users are taking prior to purchasing in the last 3 months.

Lastly, you may have seen these but I want to share introductory resources on Funnels and Flows report as you continue your journey using Mixpanel. Also, I want to share that we recently released Mixpanel University with section on Introduction to Mixpanel Analysis which I think might be helpful for you to see how other reports aside from Funnels or Flows can be used to look at your data.

Hope this helps!

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi @tehfo,

You can use the Funnels report to see conversion rates of users who went from  “sign up for a free trial” event to “deal won” event. 

For example, in my dummy music finder project I want to see the conversion of user who went from Account created to Purchase song, with a 30 day window conversion in the last three months (picture below).

When you have multiple steps in your Funnel and choose to have them in any order steps, you have the option to select Top paths from the drop-down list to view a Sankey visualization of how your users are performing the steps in your funnel.

I also want to share that Flows is a good report to see what paths your users are taking starting or ending at certain event. For example, below I have anchored my Flows report to end with Purchase song to see what events users are taking prior to purchasing in the last 3 months.

Lastly, you may have seen these but I want to share introductory resources on Funnels and Flows report as you continue your journey using Mixpanel. Also, I want to share that we recently released Mixpanel University with section on Introduction to Mixpanel Analysis which I think might be helpful for you to see how other reports aside from Funnels or Flows can be used to look at your data.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Stephanie I’ll take a look at it!!!