Solved

Grouping users by an action that happens at the end of the journey (conversion)

• 27 January 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi,

We’re building a flow, in which users can perform some actions (Action a,b,c) and then submit their details (action d) to download a report.

I’d like to measure how many actions are performed by people who submitted their details, and if these actions helped in making the user submit.

Thing is, that I can’t filter actions a,b,c based on the outcome of the submission, because I can’t send the actual submission as a property to those actions (because it didn’t happen yet). And I can use to mark the user’s profile as someone who submits, because actions a,b,c happened before the tagging, and that info on who did those actions (if they are people who submitted or not) would be not exists (because it happened later down the road).

I can build several funnels, one with the submission and actions a,b,c, one with the submission and without actions a,b,c, and measure the effect but I believe Mixpanel offers more than that.

We’re building a web tool, people won’t sign up, aren’t going to return at high rates, and we’re giving a one time experience in a way.

Thought about using the Signal feature, but I guess there’s a more straightforward way.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by stephanie 10 February 2020, 19:10

Hi @Montag,

You can take a look at the drop off rate per step in your funnel to see users who did not complete it. Going back to my Funnel report example, to see users who dropped off on step 4, I can hover over the the light blue part of the bar chart on step 4. This will show me a pop up with the percentage and unique counts of drop off. When you click into the section it will show you more details on the step and option to create a cohort of the dropped off users. Once I a cohort of my dropped off users is created, I can then look at the users within that cohort from the Cohort report. Additionally, I can use this cohort in other reports to do further analysis. I have attached screenshots to help see this :) 

Hover over the drop off to see the percentage and unique count
Click into the drop off to be able to see more information and the option to create a Cohort
Once you have created the cohort of dropped off users, you can view users in that cohort and use this cohort to do further analysis in other reports

Hope this helps! 

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hi @Montag,

If I am understanding correctly, it sounds like you want to know steps your users are doing before getting to the end event D (submit their details)? If so, our Flows report can be helpful to see a reverse flows of the steps your users are doing before getting to the event D. To do this, you will need to set the EVENT PATHS to ENDING WITH (top left hand corner of report) and select event D to anchor it at the end of the flows report. I have attached a screenshot to help see below. 

To read more on Flows and its additional capabilities take a look here

Also, if you have a Funnels report and change your order steps to “any order” and anchor the last event(D) in your funnel, this will give you the option to see Top paths from the drop-down list to view a Sankey visualization of how your users are performing the steps in your funnel. I have attached a screenshot to help see this as well. 

Lastly, you may have seen this but you can use our Predict forecasts to show how likely users are to perform an event in your application. To read more on Predict, please take a look at our predict help article here

Hope this helps get to your goal! 

Hi and thanks,

Well not quite, I want to look at to groups of users, one that had converted (completed the last step and ended the flow) vs the one that hadn’t (did some actions but didn’t complete the flow).

If I’m setting the last event as a part of the funnel, I won’t get any data on the 2nd group...

Thanks

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hi @Montag,

You can take a look at the drop off rate per step in your funnel to see users who did not complete it. Going back to my Funnel report example, to see users who dropped off on step 4, I can hover over the the light blue part of the bar chart on step 4. This will show me a pop up with the percentage and unique counts of drop off. When you click into the section it will show you more details on the step and option to create a cohort of the dropped off users. Once I a cohort of my dropped off users is created, I can then look at the users within that cohort from the Cohort report. Additionally, I can use this cohort in other reports to do further analysis. I have attached screenshots to help see this :) 

Hover over the drop off to see the percentage and unique count
Click into the drop off to be able to see more information and the option to create a Cohort
Once you have created the cohort of dropped off users, you can view users in that cohort and use this cohort to do further analysis in other reports

Hope this helps! 

Mixpanel