Solved

Funnels - Two Reports Showing Different Values for Same 1st Step

• 23 July 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hello all! Many thanks in advance for any pointers

Please forgive the potentially naive question but I'm having a hard time figuring out a discrepancy on my Funnels reports.

I created two Funnels reports both of which feature the same events designated as the first and second steps. However, when I add a third step to Report #2, the values for the first and second steps change. Shouldn't these values remain the same between the reports?

In Report #1

• Step 1 - 386
  • Step 2 - 302

In Report #2

• Step 1 - 339
  • Step 2 - 260
  • Step 3 - 249

Report #1

Report #2

Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

icon

Best answer by dbw32 29 July 2019, 05:01

Thank you @sarah.horton. You're right, the conversion window is the primary culprit.

Basically, a conversion window starts at the first instance of the first step in a funnel occurring and does not reset until the funnel is complete, the conversion window expires, or the user is excluded via exclusion step.

So given:

• Funnel #1 = A -> B
  • Funnel #2 = A -> B -> C

And the following events occur within the same conversion window

• A -> B -> C
  • A -> B -> A -> B -> A -> B -> C

Then this will trigger the following increments to each event in the report:

A -> B -> C

• Funnel #1 Report = A + 1, B + 1
  • Funnel #2 Report = A + 1, B +1, C +1

A -> B -> A -> B -> A -> B -> C

• Funnel #1 Report = A + 3, B + 3

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @DBW32

I’ve ran into similar issues with discrepancies in my Funnels reports. I think this could be an issue where you’re using different conversion details for these two funnels (uniques vs totals conversion details). Check out this Help Center article about conversion details in funnels: https://help.mixpanel.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029190092

Badge

Thank you @sarah.horton. You're right, the conversion window is the primary culprit.

Basically, a conversion window starts at the first instance of the first step in a funnel occurring and does not reset until the funnel is complete, the conversion window expires, or the user is excluded via exclusion step.

So given:

• Funnel #1 = A -> B
  • Funnel #2 = A -> B -> C

And the following events occur within the same conversion window

• A -> B -> C
  • A -> B -> A -> B -> A -> B -> C

Then this will trigger the following increments to each event in the report:

A -> B -> C

• Funnel #1 Report = A + 1, B + 1

A -> B -> A -> B -> A -> B -> C

• Funnel #1 Report = A + 3, B + 3

Thank You so much for the explanation @dbw32 , I have been going gaga over the discrepancy in the metrics and having tried out the support or sales channel of Mixpanel no single person has actually tried to come up with a proper explanation for this issue which seems to be very obvious with a lot of people.

@mixpanel-admin @mixpanelsolutions You folks seriously need to add this to the help section with a clear and concise explanation as mentioned above, it will definitely help a lot of new users.

Mixpanel