Solved

Funnel problems

• 3 February 2019
  • 6 replies

Badge

I've recently setup a new product and am having issues getting accurate data from the funnel. I might be doing something wrong here but take a look at this.

This is a sign up registration workflow. The first 2 stages are page loads, so page load the sign up form, then the second is an additional information page where we collect things like company name and phone number.

The last 2 stages are

- SMS code requested

- SMS code entered in successfully.

What I'm finding a little odd is that

1. Users are triggering those SMS events 100%. I can see them in insights.

2. Users have to do the previous 2 stages before they do the last 2 stages, so I don't think any weird users are somehow not triggering the events.

Am I doing something wrong here?

icon

Best answer by cherise 30 May 2020, 06:10

@archangel —

If your users are signing up or signing in after getting tracked as an anonymous users, Mixpanel can now track all of the anonymous activity using Identity Merge.

The ID merge system makes it possible to link pre and post authenticated event streams under a single identifier which eliminates “false-uniques.” Previously, Mixpanel could only map pre-sign up activity back to a user who was later identified (say right after sign-up), so any activity a user did anonymously before signing in again could not be attributed to that user. 

Our recommendation would be to use the new Identity Merge process!

View original

6 replies

Badge

Hey Brad, are you ensuring that these events are associated with the same distinct_id?

First thing that comes to mind is that your front-end might not be handling this consistently. Does this help: https://help.mixpanel.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001355146-Keeping-Properties-Consistent-Across-Client-Server-Libraries

Badge

Thanks for the tip @marginwalker . It looks like our first 2 steps are anonymous users but when they get to stages 3 and 4 they are authenticated so it gets a bit confused there. We have a solution now though so thanks for the tip. It was a good jumping off point.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

hi @braddunn out of curiosity- do you mind sharing your solution? could help someone having a similar problem

was it using the alias call at authentication?

Badge

In the end we decided to just stop using events, and instead do it on page views. It's a bit of a workaround, and not really as good in the end but it got things going for us.

@marginwalker What is the recommended way to track distinct_id across browsers when the user is still anonymous (before login)? For example, tracking the user on the landing page (where he/she downloads a Windows app) and then checking when the user opens up the app?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@archangel —

If your users are signing up or signing in after getting tracked as an anonymous users, Mixpanel can now track all of the anonymous activity using Identity Merge.

The ID merge system makes it possible to link pre and post authenticated event streams under a single identifier which eliminates “false-uniques.” Previously, Mixpanel could only map pre-sign up activity back to a user who was later identified (say right after sign-up), so any activity a user did anonymously before signing in again could not be attributed to that user. 

Our recommendation would be to use the new Identity Merge process!