For my react native app, events are no longer getting tracked

• 22 September 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi guys, we have the following issues;

1. We’re using mixpanel in our react native expo app and we’ve noticed discrepancies in the number of users in our database and in the users on mixpanel. And then we noticed that some events for some users are no longer getting tracked for some reason. We really can’t say how this is happening and we’re not using any third-party library, rather we’re using the HTTP spec (http://api.mixpanel.com) to send data to Mixpanel. 
  2. Events are not being tracked in real time. So, i want to know how long it takes for events to get tracked/propagated from the mobile app to the Mixpanel dashboard. 
  3. In the “all-users” filter, we can see completely empty users properties there. What could be the reason for this?
  4. Even when we set identify(id), we can still see that there are duplicate users in Mixpanel with the same user properties. 

Please help us.

Thanks

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@Tenderd —

Your title suggests that something changed your tracking — can you tell me what happened before you noticed that your events were not getting tracked as expected?

1. We’re using mixpanel in our react native expo app and we’ve noticed discrepancies in the number of users in our database and in the users on mixpanel. And then we noticed that some events for some users are no longer getting tracked for some reason. We really can’t say how this is happening and we’re not using any third-party library, rather we’re using the HTTP spec (http://api.mixpanel.com) to send data to Mixpanel. 

I can see that you wrote into this thread, which addresses some of the reasons why you may not see a 1:1 match on data in Mixpanel. I also recommend the following resources if you want additional detail on the issues that can be causing this:

1. Events are not being tracked in real time. So, i want to know how long it takes for events to get tracked/propagated from the mobile app to the Mixpanel dashboard. 

Mixpanel will ingest data as soon as it hits our API. Less often there are ingestion delays, where Mixpanel has received the data, but it is taking time to populate in the UI / show up in your report. That said, because you are mentioning a delay from events triggered via your mobile app into your Mixpanel dashboard, it could be caused by the mobile device being offline. In our mobile libraries, by default, Mixpanel accepts data up to 5 days old. This is due to cases of mobile connectivity issues where all data is not flushed to Mixpanel before a user goes offline or loses their strong connection. Take for example the tube/bus rider who is reading your app whilst offline commuting to work - this data won’t be flushed until the app is open again with an internet connection.

1. In the “all-users” filter, we can see completely empty users properties there. What could be the reason for this?

By filtering a report by “All users” you can breakdown your data by unique distinct_ids. This lets you capture all unique users that are interacting in your product, but may not have a user profile yet. In order for a user profile to be formed, you have to use the people.set method.

1. Even when we set identify(id), we can still see that there are duplicate users in Mixpanel with the same user properties. 

Are you seeing duplicate user profiles? If so, are you using ID Merge

Badge

Hi @cherise , thanks for your reply. 

1. But there are discrepancies in the number of users in mixpanel with the number of users in our database. I really can’t tell how possible that is. The number of users in mixpanel is about 1/3 of the total users in our database. What’s your recommendation on fixing this issue, please?
  2. If a user’s location is turned off, can mixpanel still track and send data to the dashboard?
  3. This can be seen in all our projects (both web and mobile) when we select the “All users” filter. Why is this, please? 

4. I am sending the tracking data to http://api.mixpanel.com and NOT to https://api.mixpanel.com. Is there a major difference in this?

Badge

Hi @cherise , any update on this please?????