Exclusion Step Not Working

• 11 August 2020
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
  • Community Champion
  • 40 replies

Hello everyone,

I want to check if I am using the exclusion step wrong.

I created a funnel using two events, let’s say

“Sign Up” and “Welcome Kit Sent”

Now, If a user signs ups, welcome kit will be sent within 24 hours, unless they do one of the three events to opt out of the program. Let’s call these events Opt out, Pause, and Cancel.

So, if I create a 24 hour funnel between “Sign Up” and “Welcome Kit Sent”, and I put the above 3 events in exclusion steps, I should ideally get a 100% conversion (or else there is a bug, which is what I was checking for).

But I got about 20% drop there. I created a cohort of the dropped users and checked some dropped profiles individually. At least one of the exclusion events was definitely fired for them. So, why were those profiles not excluded from the funnel? Is there something I am misunderstanding in what “exclusion step” is supposed to do?

It occurred to me that exclusion steps may be working with AND logic. So, I retried the above by creating a custom event with the three exclusion steps and just using that. Even then I saw the drop.

icon

Best answer by mattsmith 18 August 2020, 10:31

Hi @Jaya 

Exclusion steps should work in exactly the way you are describing, and should not work on “And” logic.

The only thing I can think of here is that each event in a Funnel has a 2 second grace period, meaning if the events are sent within 2 seconds of each other they can be listed in either order.

If that isn’t possible, then it might be best to log a ticket with our support team for them to take a look. You can contact them by going to the ( ? ) icon in the top right of your project, and selecting “Contact Support”.

Thanks,

Matt

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi @Jaya 

Exclusion steps should work in exactly the way you are describing, and should not work on “And” logic.

The only thing I can think of here is that each event in a Funnel has a 2 second grace period, meaning if the events are sent within 2 seconds of each other they can be listed in either order.

If that isn’t possible, then it might be best to log a ticket with our support team for them to take a look. You can contact them by going to the ( ? ) icon in the top right of your project, and selecting “Contact Support”.

Thanks,

Matt

Mixpanel