NEW FEATURE ALERT

Easily customize ranges while breaking down by numeric properties in Insights!

• 5 June 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
  • Mixpanel Product Manager
  • 49 replies

Hello Mixpanel Community!

We’re pleased to announce that we’ve shipped support for easily customizing the ranges while breaking down by numeric properties in Insights. While there was the option of creating Custom Properties to do the same, we’ve brought an even quicker way to get the job done.

Here’s a quick walkthrough:

This is now live in all projects. Drop a comment if you have any questions!

Thanks,

Moinak Bandyopadhyay

Senior Product Manager

2 replies

The ranges appear to overlap e.g. 0-2, 2-4, 4-6, 6-8.   If this is true, this report would be misleading for a consumer because of values being double counted across the intervals.  Can you confirm if that is the behavior?

Ideally, the breakdown would be something like 0-2, 3-5, 6-8, 9-11, 12-14.  Discrete, independent, non-overlapping intervals. 

I would love this feature otherwise! 

@Andrew Suh hello Andrew, wanted to point out that the behavior for ranges is not actually double counting values across intervals since the intervals are inclusive on the lower end but exclusive on the upper end to account for decimal values that could be fitted into a given interval.

I have setup a sample report so you can visualize what I mean on one of our sample datasets:

https://mixpanel.com/s/2sh6tC

The problem you are raising is definitely a valid concern and I’ve added this as feedback on our team’s task list, thanks for sharing!