Solved

Count average number events in first user session (mobile app)

• 10 May 2020
  • 1 reply

Mixpanel tracks the event “first app open” automatically which shows in “insights” 

I want to count the average number of certain/any events in this first session. 

Any tips?

icon

Best answer by mattsmith 13 May 2020, 13:56

Hi @Thomas3000 

This is a great question, and something that *right now* isn’t possible in a simple way within the product.

You can create a workaround in Funnels by creating a funnel for First App open customers only (add as a filter), then create your Funnel steps and then select the “Frequency” chart type option. This is a bit of a workaround though, and would need you to add each event you wanted to look at individually, so not ideal.

The good news is that our product team have thought exactly the same as you, and we are working on a solution. We currently have a closed internal beta for a new group of features called “Behavioural Operations” for the Insights report. One of the new possibilities contained here is the ability to do “Average” for every single event, for a specified group of users, or for a session that you have defined. This would resolve your question perfectly, but as I said this is currently in a closed beta. The good news is that beta features don’t remain in beta for too long, so I would expect it to be released for all customers and projects in the next few weeks.

Keep an eye out for the product update email from our team, which will alert you when the feature is ready.

Thanks,

Matt

View original

1 reply

Badge +2

Hi @Thomas3000 

This is a great question, and something that *right now* isn’t possible in a simple way within the product.

You can create a workaround in Funnels by creating a funnel for First App open customers only (add as a filter), then create your Funnel steps and then select the “Frequency” chart type option. This is a bit of a workaround though, and would need you to add each event you wanted to look at individually, so not ideal.

The good news is that our product team have thought exactly the same as you, and we are working on a solution. We currently have a closed internal beta for a new group of features called “Behavioural Operations” for the Insights report. One of the new possibilities contained here is the ability to do “Average” for every single event, for a specified group of users, or for a session that you have defined. This would resolve your question perfectly, but as I said this is currently in a closed beta. The good news is that beta features don’t remain in beta for too long, so I would expect it to be released for all customers and projects in the next few weeks.

Keep an eye out for the product update email from our team, which will alert you when the feature is ready.

Thanks,

Matt