Question

Conversion on page to other page?

• 18 June 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge

How can I see the conversion from 1 pageview to another pageview, so event to events.

For example, what is the conversion of an Category Page to a Product page.

Because when I make a funnel the closest I can get i session. But that means if someone visits the category page and then goes to the homepage and there clicks a product that its also a conversion. I want to specificly know how people act on a page. How do I get those conversion numbers?

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi @sanderoc 

Your best option here is still to use Funnels, just with a few more details added in.

The first thing we need to check is that you are storing the “Page Name” or “Page Type” against your Page View event. You will need this to differentiate between the pages your users are looking at (Category and Product).

With Funnels, you can create a two step funnel with both steps being Page View. Then using the filter for each step (three little dots after your event) you can select Page Name/Type = Category for step 1, and then Name/Type = Product for step 2.

This will give you the conversion between *all* your category and product pages, and you can then add a breakdown underneath for Category Name or Product Name to show you how each conversion is performing.

Let me know if this does what you need.

Thanks,

Matt

Badge

Hey Matt,

But how is this solving the issue of it representing session behavioiur and not pageviw behaviour.

I have custom events the filter out groupings of pageviews based on the name/path, like you said. Then I set it to conversion from Page A to B:

But as far as I can see this tells me:

• How many sessions that had a visit to “Marketplace” also had a visit to “Storefront” after that in the same session

What I want to know

• What is the conversion on the “Marketplace” page to the “Storefront” page

There are many alternative routes to these Storefront pages, so I really need to have the performance of this pageto see how good/bad the “Marketplace” page is doing.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi @sanderoc 

The Sessions option within Funnels is showing you how many users converted from Step 1 “Page: Marketplace All Levels” to Step 2 “Page: Storefront” within the same session. Meaning within the same instance of them viewing your product. This means they didn’t close your app and come back, they didn’t go away and do anything else, they completed both of your steps without the session being closed or stopped at all.

If you simply want to see the complete conversion between your two steps, you can change Sessions to be Uniques and see how your users are behaving.

Thanks a lot,

Matt

Badge

@mattsmith 

Meaning within the same instance of them viewing your product.

But thats already to long, because again, it does not tell me anything about the performance of the first page, because there are many alternative ways to get to the second page in a session. Setting it to unique would even be more further from the data, because then the 2 actions could days apart.

Let me again rephrase it again: I want to se how many people ON page 1 (Marketplace) click ON THAT PAGE to page 2 (Storefront).

Maybe this does it:

But it feels like this should just be a toggle/option in the funnels feature. I read in the documentation that you guys call this “Loose Conversion”, so that its not a direct step to step conversion. I would like to have the option to select “Tight Conversion”.

Google Analytics funnel tool (https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6180923) I used to work with would simply allow to to choose if follow had to DIRECTLY follow each other or not.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi @sanderoc 

You’re right, our funnel works on loose conversion, but we have a feature called “Exclusion Steps” where you can select other events/properties that if a user triggers those before converting to step 2 then they do not count for your conversion %.

I admit in this instance you would need to select all other potential events a user could trigger in order for them to not be counted in your Funnel, making this a slight workaround, but it will create the funnel report you need.

Thanks a lot,

Matt