Question

Cohort of 90d+ Retained?

• 14 April 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge
  • New Participant
  • 2 replies

Has anyone figured out a way to create a cohort of users who have been ‘retained’ for some period of time or longer, no matter when they signed up?

For example, if I want to know how many users were 90D retained from an October 2019 cohort, that is simple.  But if I want a cohort comprised of ALL users who were retained 90D or longer—regardless of when they signed up—this seems impossible with the retention report.

So far the best way I’ve found to do this is in retention/cohorts

• Create individual cohorts for EVERY available monthly conversion group (3rd month, 4th month, 5th month, 6th month, etc) for EVERY monthly sign-up ‘row’.
  • Create a ‘wrapper’ cohort that is made of all the cohorts created in the previous step.

This is only a partial solution. Not only because it is incredibly tedious and annoying to keep updated, but because cohorts have limits in the query builder as to how many conditions you can layer:

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hi Adam 

It sounds like you would prefer to use the retention report - but you are looking to use cohorts as a workaround because the UI only allows 90 days for the daily analysis. Would you agree with that? Or would you prefer to use cohorts instead of the retention report?

My answer isn’t perfect — but there are two things you can do.

1. The first is to log a product gap — every idea that is submitted on QBQ  gets logged on behalf of your Mixpanel account and goes directly to our Product Managers that are making changes for the tool.
  2. The second is a bit of a workaround, but hopefully it can get you the information you need. Essentially you can do an API call and specify more than 90 days in the “interval_count” parameter.

Your team can query this data using a curl request to our APIs as explained in this doc, https://developer.mixpanel.com/docs/data-export-api#section-retention. I provided a sample request for you below:

curl https://mixpanel.com/api/2.0/retention/ \ -u API_Secret: \
-d from_date='2020-01-02' \
-d to_date='2020-04-01' \
-d born_event='userSignUp' \
-d event='$custom_event:1071157' \
-d interval_count=90

This should give you the information you are looking for. You can also specify an output file using "-o". Editing 'interval_count=90' to a different number will change the number of buckets of data. Also please make sure to replace 'API_Secret' with your projects API secret which can be found in Project Settings

Let me know what you think!

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Following up again — I just noticed that you already got a response from our support team on this question and they’ve already logged a product gap for you on your behalf, so no need to post an idea unless you want to give others the chance to vote on your post!

Were you able to use a workaround to get the information that you were looking for? It might be helpful to anyone stumbling on this post in the future. 

Thanks for sharing!

Badge

Hi Cherise, and thanks for this. I’ll give the CURL method a try. To answer your question, I would have preferred a solution in the retention report - something as elegant as just an option for calculating the buckets, as simple as Mixpanel had done with the ‘cumulative’ option. From there, I would want to create cohorts from the retention report.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@adam —

Can you create an idea for this feature please? Specifically your interest in creating a cohort from the retention report. This is something that our PMs are looking at, and I’d like to give other QBQ users a chance to chime in and vote it up! (I’ll also share it with the PM in charge of retention :sunglasses: )

We already logged a product gap to go beyond 90 days, but I’d like to capture this part of your request to make a cohort from the retention report! 

Here is a quick link to posting an idea— thank you!!

Badge

Hi Cherise,

Unbounded retention (recently released) is the feature I needed.

Thanks!