Solved

Best Way to Re-Use Reports in AB Test

• 13 August 2020
  • 1 reply

Hey everyone,

I just enabled an AB test using Google Optimize and I was wondering if anyone had thought of a good way to re-use existing reports in a custom AB test dashboard.

To provide additional context, Google Optimize passes a UTM called utm_expid to the page that can be used to identify which experiment + variant the user has received. However, I can’t think of any way to create the dashboard other than creating custom reports that filter based on the values of the two utm_expid (this would have to be done manually for every AB test created).

For my other dashboards (Facebook, Twitter, etc) I was able to specify a dashboard level filter for utm_source and it seems to work well with all my generic reports. However, that functionality is not offered for non-standard UTM parameters (which would be a nice feature, but probably not super helpful for this specific use case).

My first thought is that it would be very easy to accomplish this if it was possible to create dashboard level “variables” that could be passed down to the reports in the dashboard. For example, if mixpanel let me specify “identifier_a” and “identifier_b” at the dashboard level and then pass them down to each report, I could filter manually inside the reports and continuously reuse my reports for different AB tests.

Let me know if you’ve thought of a good way to handle this kind of reporting!

icon

Best answer by kyle-fcst 14 August 2020, 15:49

My mistake everyone. Clearly this is the intended purpose of the Experiment tab in the Analysis area.

For some reason, I thought the Experiments tab was purely for running experiments on mobile apps (I thought I opened it up a few months ago and saw something along those lines). However, I do see that this tab is in beta, so maybe it has changed recently?

Regardless, this seems like it will work well for comparing two variables. Although, it would be nice if we could save experiments like we can save dashboards.

View original

1 reply

My mistake everyone. Clearly this is the intended purpose of the Experiment tab in the Analysis area.

For some reason, I thought the Experiments tab was purely for running experiments on mobile apps (I thought I opened it up a few months ago and saw something along those lines). However, I do see that this tab is in beta, so maybe it has changed recently?

Regardless, this seems like it will work well for comparing two variables. Although, it would be nice if we could save experiments like we can save dashboards.

Mixpanel