Solved

Average page visit count per session per day

• 28 March 2020
  • 2 replies

How could I display a slope showing an average page visit count per session per day?

Let’s say there was 1000 sessions yesterday, and each of those users visited somewhere between 1 and 50 pages. How do I aggregate those visit counts and display an average for each day?

Another way to look at it is:

I can select a “Page Visit” event in the Insights Report, and do a Breakdown by “Session ID” (we already have a super property called “Session ID”), but how do I combine those individual session slopes into a single “average count” slope?

icon

Best answer by tyler 30 March 2020, 22:30

thank you for the question! fortunately you may don’t need to implement anything special. we can get the average “Page Visit” count per session per day by following this:

1. Select “Page Visit” event with “Total” as A
  2. Select “Page Visit” event with “Count sessions” as B
  3. Add a formula “A/B”
  4. Select desired date rage with the interval “Day”

Now you are dividing total number of “Page Visit” with the number of sessions that contains “Page Visit” event within a day, which is the average “Page Visit” per session per day! 

you can also see an average “Page Visit” per User per day instead of sessions count, by changing “Count sessions” to “Unique” from the above instruction. 

View original

2 replies

In theory we could write a custom mixpanel proxy server, accumulate event counts and event durations and send the final values in a “Session End” event.

Or alternatively we could collect daily statistics per user, and send them as a special “Daily Statistics” event once a day.

Would either one of these solutions make sense? Any source code examples?

I also considered writing a Custom App, and aggregate values on the fly in javascript. However Custom Apps cannot be added to Dashboards, so it’s not very appealing to have a completely separate “dashboard” for some charts… idk

thank you for the question! fortunately you may don’t need to implement anything special. we can get the average “Page Visit” count per session per day by following this:

1. Select “Page Visit” event with “Total” as A
  2. Select “Page Visit” event with “Count sessions” as B
  3. Add a formula “A/B”
  4. Select desired date rage with the interval “Day”

Now you are dividing total number of “Page Visit” with the number of sessions that contains “Page Visit” event within a day, which is the average “Page Visit” per session per day! 

you can also see an average “Page Visit” per User per day instead of sessions count, by changing “Count sessions” to “Unique” from the above instruction.